Students, in the Comments section, let's make a final reflection and some "takeaways" from A Long Way Gone.
1) First, share your two very favorite passages from the entire book, and explain why you choose these.
2) Next, pick one of the big picture questions below and respond to it as best you can.
BIG PICTURE QUESTIONS THAT SPRING FROM BEAH'S BOOK:
- What rights do we have as human beings?
- What does it mean to have universal rights?
- What does the notion that humans have natural rights come from?
- What are the political, social and economic costs of defending the rights of all people?
- Do we have a social responsibility to help defend the basic rights of others? Why or why not?
- How do the arts affect change and give meaning to social responsibility?
- How does the lens of a camera or the ink of a pen serve as a conduit for change, giving voice to those who have been affected by poverty, conflict and violence? Even if sad or tragic, why are these stories and pictures important to us as humans?