Sometimes in the consumer culture we can really lose the meaning of events and the past. Is Thanksgiving about food? Black Friday? The Michigan game? Yes, it's become all these things. But it has an original story.
Do a little research and try to answer at least one of these questions about the historical roots of Thanksgiving:
- Why did the Pilgrims leave England? Who were they?
- How did they travel and what challenges did they face on the journey?
- Where did they settle and why?
- What challenges did they face in the first years here? What was the famous starving time?
- How did Native Americans and settlers work together?
- What conflicts did Native Americans and settlers both face? What conflicts happened between races?
- What might have been the foods enjoyed in those first Thanksgivings?
Post your discoveries and share what you learned in the Comments section of this post.
My guess it that you won't be able to read this without being really moved. It's an incredible and true story.